Before getting started, lets take a look at the problem details. We will then prepare the journal entries, t-accounts, and financial statements. All of this is done step-by-step, then the included together in an excel spreadsheet attached to this lesson.
Problem 3-5A Details - Foyle Architects
Foyle Architects incorporated as licensed architects on April 1, 2014. During the first month of the operation of the business, these events and transactions occurred:
- Apr. 1 Stockholders invested $18,000 cash in exchange for common stock of the corporation.
- 1 Hired a secretary-receptionist at a salary of $375 per week, payable monthly.
- 2 Paid office rent for the month $900.
- 3 Purchased architectural supplies on account from Burlington Company $1,300.
- 10 Completed blueprints on a carport and billed client $1,900 for services.
- 11 Received $700 cash advance from J. Madison to design a new home.
- 20 Received $2,800 cash for services completed and delivered to M. Svetlana.
- 30 Paid secretary-receptionist for the month $1,500.
- 30 Paid $300 to Burlington Company for accounts payable due.
Prepare the Journal Entries
The first thing we need to to for Foyle Architects is prepare the journal entries.
Download Excel Spreadsheet for All Journal Entries
Use Journal to Prepare the T-Accounts
Next, we need to use the Journal Entries in the previous step to prepare T-Accounts for the company. This will show the changes in each account over time and help us prepare the financial statements.
Download Excel Spreadsheet for All T-Accounts
Now We Can Prepare Foyle's Trial Balance
The final step is to prepare the trial balance. This step uses the figures in our T-Accounts to put the data into a format that provides more readability for the users of financial statements. In addition, this information can be used to produce the company's main financial statements.
Foyle Architects - Trial Balance
Download Excel Spreadsheet for Full Trial Balance
Full Answer Sheet in Excel for P3-5A Foyle
This Section is Locked!
Unlock this lesson for $2 to view all sections.
- 14 Unlocks
- 4972 Total Reads
- 20 minutes Est. Learning Time
- I've been working with Microsoft Excel since the early 1990's. My primary skill-set involves programming advanced excel macros for use in finance, data analysis, and education.